Friday, March 5, 2010

Brew-a-thon

Last Sunday was a big day of beer brewing and total fun! I want to get into brewing beer, so I got my Dad's old kit (carboy, bottle capper, bottles, tubes, other things that I don't know how to use yet) and headed over to my coworker Brian's house to make some beer with him and his friend Ox.

The night before we spent about $200 on malt extract, yeast, and malt grain. Brian had thought up 6 recipes for different kinds of beer, when we get done we'll have a: nut-brown stout, IPA, a red, a dark lager, a citrus blonde, and something else I can't quite remember.

We had malt cooking on two burners inside and a turkey deep-fat fryer outside, then added the malt extract, then the hops, then the rest of the hops. It was quite a process! I was there about 9 hours, Brian didn't wrap up until about 11pm. That all after he drove up from Corvallis with a hangover after partying it up after the Floater concert.

During the off time we drank beer and played a couple games of Settlers. Settlers is great! It's got this board made of hexagonal cards that you rearrange for each new game, it's really fun and fast paced!

I will have to let you know when I get my share of the 32 gallons of beer, which will be about 100 bottles of beer (on the wall) to try to fit in my fridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let JT know what you think.