Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Nearly Screwed a Brew!

Two weeks ago I brewed a 5-gallon batch of beer that was going to be a pale ale using Irish Yeast. I screwed up big time by letting the temperature run up to about 180deg F while it should have gone no higher than 160deg F. By letting it elevate that much I inadvertently locked the sugars in the grain. The whole point of the mash is to release those simple sugars for the yeast to consume.

I noticed I had a real problem when I took a sample and checked the specific gravity and it said 1.013, which is pretty much where the final gravity should be after the yeast has eaten the sugars. I went next door to my neighbor who is also a homebrewer and told him what my OG (original gravity) was. He said that was really low and brought out a couple of his brew books to the porch to see what I could do.

We found that adding honey would be a good option because yeast converts about 99% of honey into alcohol. I borrow his digital scale and got my old honey viscous again and poured 4.3lbs of Oregon wildflower honey, it should bring the OG back up to 1.060 (may need to recalc that) with a potential ABV of 3.5%. Oh yeah, this is going to be a light ale using Irish yeast, Irish Ale Yeast - Wyeast 1084. The reason I chose Irish Ale yeast is that when I rack this one into my spare carboy I am going to reuse the yeast immediately in the next batch which I will make during weekend Staycation. Gonna be an Irish Coffee Mint Beer, using peppermint/spearmint from my garden, espresso from AJ's (24oz espresso => ~37.5mg caffeine per 12oz!).


This is a shot of the batch, it volcanoed pretty violently after the temp in the kitchen activated the yeast, that slug of honey in the bottom helped! The airlock is super crusty, it probably won't come clean, but they're only a buck and I got the benjamins rollin' in!

The other reason to use this strain of yeast is because it's pretty versatile, here are some of the styles that Wyeast suggests:

  • American Barleywine
  • Baltic Porter
  • Dry Stout
  • Foreign Extra Stout
  • Imperial IPA
  • Irish Red Ale
  • Oatmeal Stout
  • Other Smoked Beer
  • Robust Porter
  • Scottish Export 80/-
  • Scottish Heavy 70/-
  • Scottish Light 60/-
  • Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer
  • Strong Scotch Ale
  • Sweet Stout
  • Wood-Aged Beer
So if I figure out how to store yeast rather than continuous usage I will be able to make quite a few different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let JT know what you think.